Iwer 'D Boss' George Wins Fourth International Soca Monarch Title



Iwer, College Boy Jesse reign at Soca Monarch 2020


Thirteen years after he last won the International Soca Monarch, veteran soca artiste, Neil “Iwer” George, walked away with the million-dollar first prize on Saturday morning. Iwer claimed his fourth ISM  crown last night, adding to his titles he won in 2002, 2003 and 2007.  Taking second was Trinidad-born New York based star Lyrikal with a theatrical performance of 'Rukshun'. Olatunji rounded off the top three with 'Thankful'.

In his first year in the competition College Boy Jesse was crowned the 2020 Groovy Monarch with a stunning

Iwer George and College Boy Jesse collect
their cheques from ISM host Sunny Bling
performance of his 'Happy Song'. Second place when to 2019 Champion Swappi with his rounding rendition of 'Jumbie Head' and third place to Viking Ding Dong who delivered 'Outside'. 

George promised to improve the attendance at the competition, held at Queen's Park Savannah, Port of Spain, next year when he defends his crown. George, with Kees Dieffenthaller joining his performance, won with their collaboration Stage Gone Bad. The crowd favourite meant Devon “Lyrikal” Martin had to settle for second place. He sang Rukshun. Third place went to Olatunji Yearwood who sang Thankful.

After receiving his cheque, George, surrounded by his team began chanting “George for the road!” as he hopes to win the Road March title.
“Allyuh know, I have been waiting for a long time. In the history of soca and Soca Monarch, I am the only standing artiste that have been from the inception and still here. I have one of the wickedest reputations in Soca Monarch, I have the most seconds (placement) ever. What I got, I fight for it and I fight to the end it shows that Iwer is a real fighter.”
He added: “I feel very special. I just want to thank the almighty God for giving me the strength to fight up with these lil’ monsters. You see how they call up my name tonight.”

Without calling any names, George expressed his concerns about the 2019 monarch Hollice “Mr Killa” Mapp, who did not compete. George said he will defend his crown as that is his responsibility. In response to a question, George said: “I don’t have a choice I have to defend my title and I have to say this, next year Soca Monarch numbers is gonna grow because I know how to grow numbers. Trust me Soca Monarch, you will sell more tickets next year, watch how I will deal with it. The winner is the one who have to bring the numbers next year. If you win and you drop out you defeat the purpose. The winner have a responsibility to carry the competition forward. Allyuh watch and see.”

For more on Soca music and Trinidad and Tobago Carnival visit  Soca Music Tv on Facebook.

Comments