Interview With Rising Soca Talent - Rae





Soca Music Tv's Jason Diaz interviews "Rae"


What inspired the stage name Rae? 
My full name is Rachael (Ray-Shell), so naturally as I sing people started calling me “Ray Charles” and Ray Ray, so I added my little twist on it making it R-A-E or RAE CHARLEZ


Where was Rae born and raised? How often she visits her hometown? 
I was born South Trinidad and moved to NY in my child hood. I try to visit at least 2-3 time a year

What does Carnival mean to you as a Soca artiste?
Carnival to me is the embodiment of freedom, it is the truest expression of what it means to be Trinbagonian. It brings out the oneness of the Caribbean people, and exposes our beauty and vibrancy. As an artiste Carnival for me is the opportunity to provide the music that does just that, Its the same love and passion but from a different position.
When did you realise you wanted to be a singer?    
I have always known I wanted to sing and have been singing since about 10 years old and though circumstances of my life have changed music and singing has always been a constant. I attend Frank Sinatra School Of Arts where I learned to perfect my craft and studied classical music such as opera. I have used the skills and techniques I have learned in my studies and apply it to my music.


Who are your major influences in the soca industry? 
I would have to say my cousin Roy Cape has been a major influence, hearing him talk about his passions has inspired me to be just as passionate in my music. Machel Montano, Destra Garcia, Denise Belfon, Alison Hinds and Patrice Roberts just to name a few other major influences. 

What music do you listen to other than soca? Who are your favourite artistes?
I listen to dance hall, R&B, POP, and a little rap. Some of my favourite artists thus far have been, Aaliyah, Michael Jackson, Ja-Rule, etc.

Which songs do you perform most frequently? How do the fans embrace these songs?
I perform "Work It" on the Toatin Riddim more frequently and from what I can tell it is very well received, People seem to enjoy the vibe that “Work It” brings forth, and while I am a new artiste, good music is good music. so far, from the shares, comments and reactions I have received from this song fans are feeling it.

Where have you performed?  Do you have any upcoming shows?
I have performed at various venues, such as Underground Lounge in Queens NY,  Steel Bar & Grill in Sando and Truth in Palo Seco to name a few. I have quite a few upcoming shows that can be found via Instagram @raecharlezofficial


What are the main themes or topics for most of your songs? Why?
I would says there is a level of Woman Empowerment in all of my songs which were written by Darryl Gervais, I am a strong believer of women supporting one another and embracing their beauty, and being a badass, Its a way to acknowledge our worth and love for ourselves while still delivering good music for men and women to free up themselves.


What have been the biggest challenges for you as a relatively new upcoming soca artiste? Have you been able to overcome this?
Location has been one of my biggest hurdles, but with determination and hard work I have been able to overcome this, also with the support of family and friends. 



What advice you have for the younger artistes who want to breakthrough into the Soca industry?
Best advice I can give is believe in yourself no matter what others say or do, just keep pushing, network and forge genuine relationships, be humble and grateful for the opportunities that do arise and always remain consistent 

Trinidad Carnival 2020 is soon, so what is coming next? What projects do you have in the pipeline?
I am working on another project for carnival 2020 and look forward to performing these songs for the season. I am also looking forward to playing mas with Rogue for 2020. 

Is there anyone you'd like to acknowledge for offering financial or emotional support?
There are so many people that I am grateful to have with me on this journey. My family (mom, dad, hubby, siblings, step-mom, cousins) has played a major role providing support on all levels, as well as my friends. My songwriter/manager Darryl Gervais has been a huge support as well, always encouraging me, keeping me positive and seeking my best intrest.

Any last words for the Soca Music Tv supporters around the world?
Every opportunity you get to share soca with the world take it and support our people! Its time for soca to reach the next level and it can happen if we support one another.

Thanks again for having a chat with us Rae. Keep in touch! Find Rae on IG @raecharlezofficial 


Comments